Nightline is a confidential listening and information service run by and for students of Glasgow Strathclyde and Caledonian Universities. We are the only service on either campus that offers both information and support throughout the night from 7pm to 7am, and we aim to be open Monday to Friday during term time. You can call us on 0141 55 22 555, text us or contact us using our online chat for just about anything, whether you have a personal or academic worry that is affecting your life, you can’t find a taxi number after a night out, or you simply need the answer to that final question in the pub quiz!
We provide our service according to six main Nightline principles:
- Anonymity: we will not ask you for any details about yourself and we do not disclose information about ourselves or other Nightline volunteers.
- Confidentiality: anything you call about will be kept completely private within the organisation, with the exception of calls relating to acts of terrorism.
- Non-judgementality: we treat every call and every caller the same, putting aside any personal opinions or prejudices. We accept you without judgement.
- Non-directiveness: we will not tell you how to solve a problem or give you advice. We are there to listen and help callers in exploring their own emotions, situations and options.
- Commitment: Nightline aims to ensure we provide the best service we can by seeking to ensure all shifts are covered so that our service is reliable and available as advertised
- Support: we strive to support callers and our fellow volunteers at all times.
Strathclyde and Caledonian Nightline is accredited under the Nightline Association’s Good Practice Guidelines. This ensures that our Nightline is operating according to best practice as decided on by the Nightline Association, mental health professionals, legal advisors, the Samaritans, and the Helplines Partnership.